Sunday 9 October 2011

Olympic figure skater Johnny Weir confirms he’s gay in his new autobiography


(HMG Celebrity News) – In his day Liberace was able to keep thousands of adoring woman believing his virility.   These days everyone is far too clued in not to notice the obvious effeminate qualities of  some, and I think Johnny Weir definitely fell into that class.  The flamboyant three-time US champion has refused to clarify his sexual orientation until now, but it was no closet secret, just a failure to confirm.   But in his new autobiography, Welcome to My World, which excerpt is published on People he says. “In a sexual way, I’m gay, but I would marry a woman tomorrow if it struck me. I don’t think sex and relationships necessarily have to go together,” the 26-year-old who refuses to be labeled said.

He talks about the moment he first knew he was “different.” “Watching Richard Gere in Pretty Woman at the tender age of six was when I had first realized there was something different about me. I wanted to be Julia Roberts so badly. Kissing seemed like a weird thing to do, but I knew if I was going to do it, it would be with Richard Gere.”

In the book, Weir wrote, “I’m not ashamed to be me. More than anyone else I know, I love my life and accept myself. What’s wrong with being unique? I am proud of everything that I am and will become.” He added that being gay “is the smallest part of what makes me me.”

Weir says in the book he knew he was gay for sure by the time he hit puberty,  but it wasn’t until he was 16, that he first kissed a boy. He and a fellow skater began a clandestine relationship, and he came out to his mother after his 18th birthday. At first she cried, and he understood. “No mother wants to hear her son say he’s gay. Those two words rip the picture of a daughter-in-law and grandchildren into pieces. I felt sorry for my mom and wanted her to know everything was going to be all right.” But then she said, “I don’t really care, Johnny, as long as I know that you are going to be happy.” He had a serious, secret relationship with another skater, who he only names as “Alex.” Weir says those who wield power in the figure skating world “rail against” its image as “the gayest sport in the universe,” and, therefore, gay skaters are scared to show any signs of their orientation because the judges will hold it against them. “One had to act like a man. On skates and in sparkles,” he says.

Weir said he decided to go public with his sexuality from the recent trend of bullying closeted gays. “With people killing themselves and being scared into the closet, I hope that even just one person can gain strength from my story,” he said about his new book which is titled “Welcome to My World”.

Weir’s memoir hits shelves Jan. 11.


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

No comments:

Post a Comment